Monday 3 March 2014

Exploring Mathematics From Kindergarten To Grade Six

Last week during our math class, we got the opportunity to take a look in to what each math curriculum looks like for both the primary and elementary grades. For me, this was the first time I have had the chance to look at each grade and become familiar with the outcomes and materials. Before this class, I had a total different perspective on math, especially in the primary level. I was expecting we would walk into a classroom be giving the curriculum guide and textbook without any other teacher resources. I have had the chance to see a few math classes being taught during my observation days, but I never got to become really hands on and have the chance to actual look through the materials.

I have always been nervous about the idea of teaching math to the primary grades, because it isn't like the elementary grades where they learn about multiplication, division, geometry, or any other harder math concepts you can think of. For me, the primary grades made me almost scared because this is the beginning of many math courses to come. If you teach the basic math skills at this grade level poorly, then you will affect many students in the next grades to come, it always seemed like so much pressure to me. I was actually surprised to see how many resources are available for teachers, like illustrated storybooks that can be used to help teach basic number skills and concepts, ideas for activities that were listed throughout the storybooks and curriculum guides. Also the language is wrote in such a way that it would be easy for young students to understand and make meaning from. After reviewing each primary grade, I now feel much better and that I would be able to teach a math class much more effectively knowing that I have many resources to help guide my teaching. 

As the grade levels increased I was surprised about how much more in depth the textbooks were, and how much more boring the pages became. There was no colourful pictures like in the primary resources, no storybooks, it almost seemed like math became less fun. The textbook was nothing but examples and problems on each page that the students could complete. 

Overall, I was happy to become familiar with what is available resource wise that I can use in my classrooms for teaching mathematics. I feel that knowing I have something to reflect back to when teaching will allow me to become a more effective teacher. Also, it reminded me that every teacher is going to approach each math class differently, and that it is really up to the teacher on how we want to teach the material. Another important thing to remember is as a teacher, its extremely important to keep the students interests and needs our top priority, and not to get caught up in teaching the curriculum exactly how it is wrote, but to incorporate our own creativity into it and be sure to make learning fun for the students.




No comments:

Post a Comment